Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has been shaking, or shivering, a lot recently. He

Hello, My dog has been...
Hello, My dog has been shaking, or shivering, a lot recently. He usually does this when he is scared, but there isn't anything that is going on, that I am aware of, that he could be scared of.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: Today, he has started drooling as if he is looking at a steak, but there is nothing causing his drooling, like normally which would be staring at people food for too long, he would start to drool. This is not the case at the moment
11/27/2016
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How old is he?

2- Breed?

3- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

4- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

5- Any pre existing medical conditions?

6- How much does he weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1. He is around 9 years old, almost 10.
2. He is a mix of Rottweiler, American Staffordshire Terrier, Doberman Pinscher, White Swiss Shepherd.
3. No vomiting, diarrhea or coughing.
4. Nope, I make sure he eats healthy, and no people food.
5. None that I am aware of.
6. 90lbs

1- Is he walking any different?

2- Any other symptoms?

3- Can you look inside his mouth and make sure there is nothing stuck in his teeth, gums, under the tongue, etc.?

4- Can you take his rectal temperature?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1. His walking is normal
2. No other symptoms
3.I just checked, I do not see anything stuck in his teeth, gums, or under his tongue.
4. I cannot, I do not have anything to take his temperature with.

1- Is he lethargic?

2- Is he eating and drinking?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1. He has been more lethargic that usual, but he is usually a pretty calm dog.
2. I just tried giving him a treat, which he never refuses, however he did refuse it this time. He has been eating, but he hasn't been drinking as much as he used to.

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Brenda, you are right, when a dog is shivering and drooling it could be a sign of fear. But, this could also be caused by abdominal or back pain, a fever, etc. It will be difficult for me to pinpoint the exact underlying cause but common causes are a pinched nerve along the back, pancreatitis, ingestion of a foreign body, an infection, etc. to name a few causes. Unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home, I am sorry. I would strongly recommend a hands-on examination with your family veterinarian in the morning. In the meantime, start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 20mg every 12 hours, this will help if related to gastrointestinal disorders or nausea. In addition, change his diet to a bland diet of rice with boiled boneless chicken or ground beef. Do not give over the counter pain medications most are toxic to dogs.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian