Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog gave birth five days ago --a chihuahua -- she seems to be doing well. I am feeding her blue buffalo puppy food. I

Customer Question
She gave birth five days...
She gave birth five days ago --a chihuahua -- she seems to be doing well. I am feeding her blue buffalo puppy food. I worry about her calcium as her bones are so small. She had four puppies. They seem healthy.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: She had pooped all over the house, but it doesn't seem like a lot. I just don't want it to get out of control. I am researching supplements for her.
Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 12 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Congratulations on the new additions to the family. It is always exciting to have new puppies. That is good that mom is doing well and I hope the pups are doing well too. You are wise to be thinking ahead about her calcium levels. What can be a problem is when she's putting so much calcium into milk production that she can't keep up and actually makes her own blood levels low. This can lead to tremors, weakness, and twitching. I probably see a handful of eclampsia cases at my ER a year due to small breed dogs nursing larger litters. You are doing well to have her on the puppy food as this is nutritionally helping her out a lot to keep up with nutritional needs. The other things you can do are to supplement oral calcium which for a smaller breed dog typically is 1/2 of a Tums (regular strength with nothing else in it besides calcium carbonate) twice a day. This extra calcium can help to supplement what she's losing in the milk. The other thing that can help a lot is to nurse the pups on a bottle once a day or so to give mom a little break. Esbilac makes a very puppy replacement formula. The last thing that can really help is to start to encourage them to eat wet foods at 4 weeks of age. The sooner they start to wean, the less stress on mom to keep up with their needs.

Here is a great link on the low calcium (eclampsia).

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/reproduction/eclampsia-in-dogs

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian