How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Carole Cocagne Your Own Question
Carole Cocagne
Carole Cocagne, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 394
Experience:  Veterinarian at Swartz Creek Veterinary Hospital
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Carole Cocagne is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a dog that ate some mushrooms in the yard and is now

Customer Question

I have a dog that ate some mushrooms in the yard and is now pretty sick. It appeared to be some bright red blood on the carpet but I'm not sure what end it is from. What do I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** I am not sure how old as she is a rescue. Maybe 6.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rosie?
Customer: When we woke up this AM there was at least 10 spots on the carpet. She is not eating well. I did give her a piece of bread and butter yesterday in case she had a bone or something.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Carole Cocagne replied 10 months ago.

Hi I'm Dr. Carole and I'm a small animal veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear about Rosie. There are certain species of mushrooms that can cause serious liver disease. The blood may be coming from the rectum, is she having diarrhea? Some dogs can get a colitis or inflammation in the colon from a dietary indiscretion. The inflammation leads to an overgrowth of abnormal bacteria in the gut which can cause rectal bleeding. In its most severe form it can become what is called hemorrhagic gastroenteritis which can lead to shock in dogs. These dogs need fluid support immediately. Bloodwork can be done to check for the liver problem and for evidence of shock. I would suggest getting her to a veterinarian as soon as possible for treatment. Please let me know if I can help in any other way. Otherwise please provide a rating so I can get credit for my response. Thanks