Dr. Chelsea Pulter
Dr. Chelsea Pulter, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  associate veterinarian at Banfield
95952882

I took my dog to the emergency pet hospital last night she

Customer Question

hello i took my dog to the emergency pet hospital last night she had not eaten in 2 days and everytime I gave her water she vomits the water back up with a yellow mucus in it. We were advised that she had a gi infection she was given shotes famotidine, ampicillin, and zofran which would keep her hydrated and help with the vomiting. She vomited last night in the middle of the night and also this morning when i tried to give her water as instructed.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Karma.. the vet advised me to not give her anything for 8 hours and then start her out with water.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Karma?
Customer: a week prior to this we had an episode where she was constipated
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Chelsea Pulter replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I am Dr. Pulter. Please give me a minute to respond. Also please tell me how old your dog is.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
5 years old

The GI signs your dog is showing concerns me. There could be a GI infection that she has that is causing the vomiting as your vet says. I would also have your vet rule out an obstruction or pancreatitis as a cause for her signs. This is done by taking xrays of her abdomen and a blood test for the pancreas. Karma may also need to stay in the hospital to rehydrate through an IV if she cannot hold anything down. Is there any other questions you have?