Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog appears to be able to breathe fine with its mouth open

Customer Question
but with its mouth close...
Dog appears to be able to breathe fine with its mouth open but with its mouth close it seems to choke when breathing through nose
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Dolce, 10
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about dolce?
Customer: No
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Does he sound congested?

Any nasal discharge?

When you hold your finger in front of each nostril, does he have reduced airflow from either?

Is he actually coughing? Harsh or soft?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian