Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Is a 10 year old lba. She vomited a large amount of dog

Customer Question
Foster is a 10 year...
Foster is a 10 year old lba. She vomited a large amount of dog food(about a day to a day and half) and now seems to have a fever. She's very subdued.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog food eat anything unusual?
Customer: My husband is a hunter. Two days ago she chewed up some newspaper that was under the deer he was butchering.
JA: What is the dog food's name?
Customer: Purina weight management.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog food?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

I am so sorry to hear your dog is vomiting. First, please remove the water. If there is continued actively vomiting we want to minimize anything orally to stop the nausea and abdominal cramping resulting in vomiting. I know the thought is your pet needs to drink to maintain hydration but if there is actively vomiting even water there is risk of becoming more dehydrated with water intake.

If there is no improvement then please consider having your dog seen by a veterinarian sooner rather than later. They can give injectable medications to bypass the intestinal tract and hopefully get the nausea under control

The vomiting all the food is an indicator of gi stasis or the food simply not moving through. If only a small amount of the newspaper was ingested it will be digested but if there was a large amount and/ or any bones then we potentially can be dealing with a foreign body in this scenario

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting her comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is.

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Should we give her anything for the fever?

Unfortunately anything you give orally at this time will likely lead to more vomiting and anything for the fever will only lead to further upset stomach so no I would not address the fever and focus on getting her comfortable first and foremost with the nausea

I am online another 30 minutes this evening if I can be of any further assistance

Good evening, I am signing off and wanted to check in on Foster to see how he is doing? I would love an update when you are able...

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian