Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

If you take antibiotics and your dog licks you alot can she

Customer Question
get a yeast infection from...
If you take antibiotics and your dog licks you alot can she get a yeast infection from the antibiotics I've been on them for years
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/26/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. I am not sure if I completely understand the question, so let me know if I am off the mark. If you are on oral antibiotics, she won't get any of the antibiotic in her system if she licks your skin often, so it isn't something I would be worried about. I assume that you are worried about her getting a yeast infection due to overgrowth from antibiotic in her system killing off most of the beneficial bacteria? Again, not something I would worry about. She would have to be on oral antibiotics herself for a long period of time for that to even be a concern. I hope this answers your questions. Let me know if it doesn't.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hi Vandy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. Thanks for writing in. I was just following up to see how your Pom is doing and to see if you have any further questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian