Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Laying on side he cried - when picked up his head telted -

Customer Question
laid on my stomach was...
Laying on side he cried - when picked up his head telted - laid on my stomach was able to get up and drink. He's a 15 year old Peke.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Trying to look up stroke - think it might be a TIA like in humans. The same thing occurred 3 months ago. Otherwise he's healthy.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about TIA?
Customer: I mean a small stroke?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/26/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your Peke. You may be correct. Vocalizing and a profound change in mentation (mental status) - often obtundation or coma - is seen with significant strokes in dogs. Just as in people, however, milder strokes - TIAs, e.g. - do occur and when involving areas controlling vestibular (balance) functions such as the cerebellum and brain stem can cause head tilt (as well as nystagmus/eyes flicking back and forth and ataxia ("drunken sailor"). We don't have specific therapy for strokes but we do investigate for systemic disorders that may predispose to stroke such as thromboembolic (blood clot producing) disorders and disorders that predispose to hypertension. Your Peke's vet is likely to recommend blood pressure assessment and a senior/geriatric diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian