Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Just reading about dog's thowing up and possible causes. He

Customer Question

Just reading about dog's thowing up and possible causes.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: He is usually active, but yesterday he passed on his daily walk. This morning he vomited and it was watery/slimy and yellow.
JA: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No, he is good shape. He walks 3 miles a day and has a healthy appetite.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

today.

How old is he?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Riley is 12. He has drank water today.His gums are pink.I've palpated his stomach and he doesn't tense up.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that Riley has none of those more serious signs you checked for. Now in regards ***** ***** question, potential causes for his vomiting here would be a potential brewing bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, bile reflux (usually a pre-breakfast yellow vomit), and ingestion of harmful items (hopefully less likely at his age). Though considering his age specifically, we would also have to be wary of vomiting secondary to underlying IBD, cancer (less likely with this sudden onset), metabolic or organ issues.

With this all in mind, since his signs are mild at this stage, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, you can consider treating him with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Afterwards, you can consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet for a few days. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet. And if he did vomit before breakfast, make sure to use the antacid before bed and consider a bedtime meal to counter that for him.

Overall, there are a wide range of agents could trigger this GI upset we are seeing. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach. If he cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out systemic underlying issues related to his age, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics if needed to get him settled.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is it okay to give him Pepto Bismol? Also, I usually cook baked chicken, rice, carrots, peas, and give feed him baby bananas. Is baby food (fruits and veggies okay to feed him?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello again,

The diet is fine and baby food is fine as long as it has no garlic or onion powder or bits in it. Those can cause GI upset (and anemia in high doses) for our dogs. Otherwise, I am not a fan of using Pepto Bismol for vomiting dogs. Its better for diarrhea and the aspirin/salicylic acid in it tends to irritate the stomach and can make some dogs vomit. So, Pepcid and Zantac are better options for this situation.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK, great. I'll buy some. Should I worry about his lethary, or just allow him to sleep comfortably?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

I would let him rest since lethargy just often is due to them feeling under the weather. But once he is up we can use these as needed.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.