Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

he has thrown up and is unstable on his feet, and is lethargic JA:

Customer Question

he has thrown up and is unstable on his feet, and is lethargic
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: he is a 5 lb yorkie/terrier mix. 2 years old
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Was it just the one vomit? What did it look like?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
just this morning, vomited once bought all his food,hasnt drank any water this morn,gums are pink and moist,no discomfort with belly, its possible
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
awaiting answer
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for being patient (as you can see I was typing you a treatment plan),

First, I have to say that if he is wobbly and weak with this vomiting, we do need to tread with care. This is because small breeds are high risk for blood sugar crashes when vomiting but this also raises concerns of a possible toxicity. That said, we’d also have to be wary of a gut infection, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items.

With this all in mind, to start we need to tackle that potentially low blood sugar. Therefore, to start, we can try boosting his blood sugar by rubbing a sugary syrup (ie glucose syrup, honey, karo syrup, pancake syrup, or even non-grape jam) onto the gums. This will get some sugar into his and hopefully perk him up for us.

Afterwards, we can try focusing on his nausea. For that, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest the stomach for a few hours first), you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac))]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing and with how serious they are we do need to tread with care. If there is any chance he has eaten something dangerous, we’d want to have him seen urgently. Otherwise, we can at least try supportive care. Of course, if he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within a few hours (since he sounds quite severe); then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, ensure nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with injectable anti-vomiting medication, fluids +/- antibiotics to get him settled.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.