Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog's DNA just came back with level 1 - 75-100% -

Customer Question

My dog's DNA just came back with
level 1 - 75-100% - Pembroke Welch Corgi
level 5 - 1-9% Siberian Husky
How can it be AKC prue then?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

I can understand your being confused! What DNA test did you do?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

If you have a pedigree, showing that Sampson comes from a line of Corgis, and the breeder registered the litter listing that pedigree (that his parents, grandparents, great grand parents and great great grandparents were all Corgis) then he is an AKC registered Corgi.

The DNA tests are still relatively new, and some experts question their accuracy. A DNA test kit does not contradict what your AKC papers say. You can register, show and breed him as a Corgi. Does he look like a Corgi? Do you question that he is not?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; let me know if this was helpful and what other questions you have.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He definitely looks and acts like a corgi and he is registered a corgi but in order to breed him AKC asked for a DNA test. Since he came back with a little bit of something else then I need to know if they still consider him pure. He is registered, parents are registered, and 7 other generations down the line
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

If he and his parents are AKC registered, it is not clear to me why he needs a DNA test. The AKC is asking for the test? These tests are not 100% accurate, according to most of the experts I talk to. The test being positive for another breed is not proof of being of mixed breed.

Which test was done that came back part Siberian Husky? I trust the Wisdom test more than the others, but none of them are 100% accurate.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

Was the test done by hair, cheek swab, or blood test?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

Doing research: the only thing DNA is really accurate for is proving that a puppy came from the parents on the ACK registration. You have to send samples from both parents and the puppy to the lab at the vet school in California.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I got the test through AKC. They sent me a letter stating that if I wanted to breed him he would need a DNA test. It was a cheek swab that we sent off. He is registered with them and I have been breeding Bernese Mt. Dogs for 10 years and have never been required to do a DNA test with any of my berners which is why I am confused about this.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

I have not heard of the either, and my research indicates that the cheek swab test is not as reliable as blood tests. Let me research some more.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

I did find a veterinary reproduction expert who says that yes, the AKC is using a cheek swab test before recommending a dog be bred. Since these tests are not 100% accurate, the test could be wrong.

If the test is correct, then one of Sampson's great grandparents or farther back may not have been pure bred. I would either repeat the test or retest with a blood test.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

I have not heard back from you; I hope you saw my responses! Can I help with anything else?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.
Hi Heidi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sampson. How is everything going?