Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dogs skin is bright red under her fur. The only thing

Customer Question
that has changed is we...
My dogs skin is bright red under her fur. The only thing that has changed is we gave her some soft food of premium quality mixed with her dry food to help get rid of it. She hasnt normally been allergic to anything. She takes pills for incontinence and she is 5. Her name is ***** ***** she is a border collie mix. I am wondering if it is an allergic reaction to the food or if something else is possibly going on and what can we do from home to help alleviate the redness. It is not HOT but it is warm
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/26/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I wanted to touch base with you about Dixie. To see such sudden onset skin inflammation (which will be red and warm since its dilating local blood vessels) does raise concerns of an allergy. This could be something in the food or something she has been in contact with (ie plants, laundry soap, carpet powders, etc). In this case, we'd want to try to counter that. To do so, you can try an OTC antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8 hours) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). Of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first And if you use this but she isn't settling, then we'd want her local vet to check her +/- start a short course of steroids to nip this in the bud.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We gave her benadryl last night n she seems fine today. Thank you for your time! Brings my question wasn't answered in a timely manner do I only get charged a certain amount? This wasn't your fault n you pass with flying colors was just wondering if I request a refund from you or the website

I am glad she is feeling better and hopefully we can avoid that allergen for her in the future. :)

In regards ***** ***** costings side of the site, I would advise a wee word with customer service (HERE) as they handle that side of the site.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dixie. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian