How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 20763
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

1 of my dogs ate some Nutella. I'm concerned about them both

Customer Question

1 of my dogs ate some Nutella. I'm concerned about them both not knowing which one are it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me, so could you please answer the following :

2. How much do your your dog weigh { In pounds } ?
3. Roughly how much Nutella did they get?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He's about 80lbs and looks like he ate about 1-2 tablespoons we think. He did it while we were gone so I'm not sure.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Please don't give this a second thought, the main concern is the chocolate content of the Nutella, but this is actually quite low. There is no way that the amount you mentioned is going to have any adverse effects on an 80 pound dog. There are no special measures you need take, he will be just fine ...

2. Just to give you an idea the rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 80 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 56 ozs { More than three pounds } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. Other forms of chocolate are more toxic than milk chocolate but even then this is way below any toxic level for your size of dog.

3. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject : LINK

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the extremely unlikely event that dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning Nutella ingestion ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.