Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

The dogs were playing and one nipped the bottom of the

Customer Question
HI...the dogs were playing and...
HI...the dogs were playing and one nipped the bottom of the others ear. IT is bleeding and does not seem to be stopping.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jersey, she is 7 years of age.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jersey?
Customer: nope...she is healthy, the other dog is a family dog that is healthy and they both have all their shots.. we are trying to stop the bleeding but it is in a difficult place. She does not appear to be in pain or discomfort, just bleeding/
Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/26/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 12 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

ty DR.Gabby

Ears always bleed a lot. How long is the tear? Did it just happen?

1/2" tear and happened about 45 minutes ago. HE tried to clean and bandage it but it is still bleeding a bit
we tried to clean..

Try holding a towel with firm pressure on the area for 15 minutes straight. Like you are pinching the spot with the towel. Do not peak until 15 minutes have passed or it will bleed again.

If that does not work hold an ice pack on it.

You can go to the drug store and buy a septic pencil or septic stick which is what men use when they cut themselves shaving. You can try that too.

ok...after the two a bandage?
..what if it is still bleeding?

If those three things do not work then he will probably have to go to the emergency vet and have it sutured.

What does "after the two a bandage" mean?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian