Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 6 month old rottie puppy just swallowed a very thin sock

Customer Question
hi there - my 6...
hi there - my 6 month old rottie puppy just swallowed a very thin sock (a ped type sock)
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the puppy's name?
Customer: chance
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about chance?
Customer: no not outside of the sock
Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/26/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 12 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

Depending on your dogs size this is a small chance for a foreign body obstruction so I would advise inducing vomiting. If your dog ingested this within the last few hours then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If there is no vomiting then there are a few precautions we can take to hopefully minimize the risk of obstruction but at the first signs of vomiting without production of the ball please have a veterinarian evaluate your dog.

- Feed 2-3 pieces of bread now

- Take a nice walk to help move the material through. Not running around but a leash walk which helps encourage emptying of the stomach and digestion of at least 15+ minutes

- In about 2 hours repeat the bread which is used to help bulk up the foreign body to hopefully push them through

- Monitor for signs of the material coming out the other end in the next 24-48 hours

- Again tomorrow a few nice long leash walks to help encourage gi motility and pushing the foreign material through the intestinal tract

This is the difficult part, the watching and waiting because all we can do is see if it passes on its own if there is no initial vomiting with the peroxide.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Don't you have to worry about them choking if you induce vomiting. Not sure if that is a stupid question but the first thing that comes to mind.

The risk of an obstruction is much greater than the risk of aspiration or choking. The gag reflex will supplement the peroxide with inducing vomiting. It is not a stupid question at all

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Good evening, I wanted to check in on Chance to see if you were able to induce vomiting yesterday? I would love an update when you are able.

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian