Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Some redness and droopy eyes. Drinking way more water. Not

Customer Question

Some redness and droopy eyes. Drinking way more water. Not inhaling dog food as normal. Black lab,about 7 yrs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

So sorry to hear that your dog is showing these symptoms. There are a wide variety of causes of increased water intake in dogs and a first morning urine sample evaluation (collected in a tupperware container, refrigerated if more than an hour old), examination, and bloodwork is warranted to determine the origin or these symptoms. The drooping eyes and reduced appetite can also go along with the possible causes in your dog

Differentials for the symptoms include a urinary tract infection (even without overt signs of blood in urine), kidney disease, bladder stones/ crystals, liver issues, endocrine disease such as Cushing's, diabetes, if your dog is a female not spayed then infection in her uterus can also be a cause. Once diagnostics are done hopefully an answer as far as cause can be determined and appropriate therapy can be initiated but gathering more information is the key to getting her treated and hopefully resolve the symptoms currently experiencing.

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know if I can be of any further assistance today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, how is your Lab doing today? I would love an update when you are able

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!