Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We think he ate a piece of foam from a toy. It would be

Customer Question
about the size of a...
We think he ate a piece of foam from a toy. It would be about the size of a quarter. He threw up last night and pooped. It was loose but formed. This morning he is laying around, not eating. Does not appear to be in any pain.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He is a texas heeler, and is 5 months old
Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 12 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago do you think he ate this?

Can he keep water down?

What does he weigh?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

What color was the stool?

We think he ate this some time early yesterday. He has not eaten anything since breakfast yesterday. He weighs around 30 lbs. He does not appear to be in any pain at all. He is just laying around. When you palpate his belly he does not act like you are hurting him. His gums are pink, but a little sticky. We think he ate a toy foam grill. It was with a craft that the kids had done.
When he pooped last night it was light brown.

Thank you,

Now when our dogs eat these kinds of items, we do always need to tread with care. Though if he hasn't those more urgent signs I asked about, we can try to counter the suspect nausea that will be putting him off eating and see if we can get this foam passed safely.

To start, since appetite loss in the wake of vomiting is often related to nausea, we can try to counter that for him to see if we can break his fast. To do so, you can use OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Afterwards, provided we can get him eating, we can start some supportive care while monitoring him. In regards ***** ***** options, we will want to start him on small meals of bland food (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken/white fish or scrambled egg) for the next few days. Whichever you choose, you consider adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin to the meals. The fiber in the pumpkin will encourage any foam material to move through the GI. As well, cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) can also be added to these meals to help it slip through.

While encouraging passage of this material, you do want to keep a close eye on him. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on his stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage or trauma and would require him to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.

Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this. So, at this stage and in this situation, we’d want to use the above steps to encourage this to pass while we keep a close eye on him. If we can do this for the next 48 hours and see no issue, then we'd suspect we are out of the woods. Of course, if we did see any of those worrying signs, we’d be concerned and need him seen urgently.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Thank you! We are going to run him to the vet this afternoon so we don't get into trouble over the weekend. i appreciate your help

You are very welcome, my dear.

That sounds safest and hopefully we can just nip that anorexia in the bud and get him settled.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 11 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian