Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

German Sheppard ate two hamburgers in saran wrap yesterday

Customer Question

German Sheppard ate two hamburgers in saran wrap yesterday and is feeling ill. Moving around the house slow. Did eat her breakfast and some lunch meat an hour ago.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sasha 10 years?? Rescued her six years ago
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Do you think she ate them whole or chewed/tore the saran wrap?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Any diarrhea or straining to pass stool?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She probably ate them pretty much intact and chewed very little, we have a couple of dogs so she probably did not waste any time eating them. Only vomited once a few hours ago but just fluids. Gums look pink. Not drooling, somewhat sticky gums. Did not show discomfort or tense when we felt her belly. Not sure about the stool will keep an eye on that.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you,

Now if Sasha likely ate these whole, then she will struggle a bit more to pass/digest this then if she had taken time to chew it. So, that may be why she seems slow and unsettled today. That said, since she hasn't any of those more serious signs I asked about, we can start supportive care to try to help her safely pass that saran wrap.

To start, if she seems nauseous at all, we can start by putting her onto an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention

Afterwards, we will want to start her on small meals of bland food (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken/white fish or scrambled egg) for the next few days. Whichever you choose, you consider adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin to the meals. The fiber in the pumpkin will encourage any saran wrap to move through the GI. As well, cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) can also be added to these meals to help it slip through.

While encouraging passage of this material, you do want to keep a close eye on her. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on her stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage and would require her to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.

Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this. So, at this stage and in this situation, we’d want to use the above steps to encourage this to pass while we keep a close eye on Sasha. If we can do this for the next 48 hours and see no issue, then we'd suspect we are out of the woods (and may see the wrap in her feces). Of course, any of those above signs and a blockage would be a worry and we would want to have her checked urgently. Though hopefully her gut will infiltrate and digest the meat here so that the wrap can pass easily.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.