Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She's been biting at the rear of her back recently and skin

Customer Question
is broken. Area around wound...
She's been biting at the rear of her back recently and skin is broken. Area around wound is hard. She is an Alaskan Malamute weighing about 120 pounds. We just relocated to Ohio from Las Vegas and never had problems before. Money is tight but I have a few 500 mg Amoxicillin capsules. We've begun applying Aloe Vera gel.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: No, not at all. Can see a scab kinda of like one you get when you fall and skin your knee.
JA: Phew. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Zoe Cherry. She just turned 4 years old on 11/9/16.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zoe Cherry?
Customer: We also own her brother, Zephyr, who is rather rough and tough but she can hold her own for sure. He weighs about 170. They've been wanting to stay outside a few hours daily because the weather is cooling off. Not much grass, mostly cement in Patio area.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/24/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Are the any pustules, pimples or crusting on the skin?

Any pus from the wound?

Does she have an anal gland discomfort or has she been generally itchy in this area?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

Not in anal area. No pus. On back of Zoe above hip area.

Thank you,

If there is no pus or those other changes to the skin I noted, then we'd not have to rush to put her onto antibiotics. In fact, if you do not have enough for a 7-14 day course, its best not to start random antibiotics since that can actually lead to resistance and complications with treating infection down the line.

Instead, we'd just want to start some supportive care to facilitate this healing. To start, you can begin by cleansing this area 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream. This can help keep infection away. As well, since we need to prevent self-trauma, after all this we can put an ecollar on her or use boxers (turned backwards so she has a tail hole) on her as a breathable cover to protect this from her self-trauma or her brother licking the area.

As well, since her initial biting could be related to an underlying allergy, you can also consider an antihistamine at this stage. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Overall, as long as this is not severe nor has pimples, pustules, crusting, or scabs; we can try the above for your lass. Of course, if this is causing severe irritation or she doesn't settle with the above; then we'd want to have this checked by her vet as systemic/oral treatment may be needed to clear this for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian