Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog broke her front leg, has 6 pins in it, surgery was

Customer Question

My dog broke her front leg, has 6 pins in it, surgery was yesterday. She is on rimadyl 25 mg BID, still very painful, can I give her one baby aspirin a day for a week? She weights about 13 lbs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: She has 6 pins in it
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lexie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lexie?
Customer: She is 14 month old.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 11 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

There are two reasons why aspirin should not be used for Lexie. First, she just had surgery and we do not want to give a blood thinner which may cause bleeding to occur. Secondly, aspirin should not be used with rimadyl, if it can be avoided. If she is still in a great deal of pain, talk to your vet about prescribing a pain medication like tramadol to help with her comfort level.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800