Carole Cocagne
Carole Cocagne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Swartz Creek Veterinary Hospital
96736229

She is a pit lab mix and we have tried everything for this

Customer Question

She is a pit lab mix and we have tried everything for this yeast in her ear so I was wandering if I could use a cream or pill women use
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: We named her Puppy cause she is so big and she is 3
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Puppy lol
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: When I clean her ears it smells like something has died in her ear and it's only the one ear
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Carole Cocagne replied 9 months ago.

Hi I'm Dr. Carole and I'm a small animal veterinarian. Sorry to hear about puppy. Has a veterinarian done a cytology of the ear debris where a swab is taken from the ear, put on a slide and looked at under a microscope to confirm the infection. Some dogs get yeast infections but over time the infection can change from a yeast to a bacterial infection and treatment for yeast infections will then not work. They only way to know what is in the ear is with a cytology or sometimes a culture. This is not always the case but usually yeast infections the debris in the ear is dark brown or black and smells like bread dough. Bacterial infections usually are creamy yellow in color or sometimes bloody and have a very foul rotten smell. These usually need special ear drops, cleaner and oral antibiotics in addition to pain medications or steroids to treat. I would suggest having her seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. If I can be of any further help just let me know. Otherwise if you could provide a rating it is the only way I get credit for my response. Thanks

Expert:  Carole Cocagne replied 8 months ago.

Have you been able to read my response?