Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Bleeding, probably from licking. Does he need to see an

Customer Question
emergency vet given today is...
bleeding, probably from licking. Does he need to see an emergency vet given today is Thanksgiving and our regular vet is closed.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: ooops his paw is bleeding
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: yes a dog
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: licks a lot lately
Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/24/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 12 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

­­Hello & welcome. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How much blood is he losing from the paw?

Is there a wound?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post it online, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar. Or you can post them on a 3rd party site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, etc) and paste the web address here.

He is lightly bleeding now like when he climbs the stairs it might start. His gums are pink. I do not know how to take a picture and it is a small sore.

Thank you,

No worries, if it is only lightly bleeding and a small sore, then its not likely to need emergency care. As well, those pink gums tell us that he hasn't lost significant amounts of blood. In this case, you may need to block his access to the sore (ie e-collar, baby sock, foot bandage, etc). Of course, before doing so, if it is actively bleeding then we need to apply pressure for at least 15 minutes. If it is light and scant (or once the bleeding has settled), you can just plan to salt water bathe (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) this lesion +/- apply OTC antibiotic cream to counter infection from licking. Afterwards, a bandage or sock can be used to protect the area and if it bleeds when walked on we may need to rest him as well. As long as it heals, we are happy. but if he keeps causing bother he will need to have an e-collar for sure but also we'd want his vet to check this to make sure there is nothing in the wound and to start antibiotics/dog safe pain relief to help get this to settle for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 11 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian