Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Shes ate 3 sticks of butter 2 days ok......shes been

Shes ate 3 sticks of butter 2 days ok......shes been throwing up periodically since then but still eating and playing until today...very tired and threw up clear liquid 3x this morning
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Not that i can think of

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How much does she weigh?

2- Is she lethargic?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Age?

5- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello Dr.peter
She weighs 50lbs
She hasnt been but today she is tired
No pre existing
The 1st couple times after eating butter she threw up white foamy-looked like butter now it is clear and watery

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Friend, certainly the vomiting could be the result of eating 3 sticks of butter. Other possible causes are intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She is much better thank yoy

I am happy to learn she is doing better. Thank you for the update.

You're welcome.

Dr. Peter