Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My 6yr old got a heartworm update 4 days ago. Will that kill

My 6yr old got a heartworm update 4 days ago. Will that kill or treat intestinal worms?

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok

I'm not sure that I understand your question, because I'm not clear what you mean by "heartworm update".

Did you mean MJ was given a heartworm prevention medication?

If so many of them do include medication to treat and prevent common gastrointestinal parasites. None of them treat all parasites however, so depending upon which parasite you are concerned about, it may or may not be effective against that parasite.

I would need to which medication she was given and what parasite you are concerned about to answer your question.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She went to vet and got all shots. They also gave her the 6 month heartworm shot
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am wondering because i just saw her poop and it has worms in it. I have not seem this before. So im wondering if i can give her an oral medication OTC type.

Thanks very much, now I understand.

The injection that she was given is called ProHeart. The active ingredient in it is Moxidectin. Moxidectin is labeled for treatment of hookworm infections (Ancylostoma caninum and Uncinaria stenocephala) at the time of administration. That means it kills hookworms that are present at the time the injection is given. It is not labelled to kill other types of worms. But studies have shown that it may also kill roundworms present at the time of injection at the dose given to prevent heartworms.

Hookworms are microscopic, so it is unlikely that is what you saw. I suspect that she had roundworms, (which look like spaghetti or rubberbands) and those were killed by the injection, thus she passed the worms.

If you want to continue treating her for roundworms then you can use pyrantel as a wormer every month. I would give her a few days for her body to recover since she just received a lot of medication at once.

But then using pyrantel as a prevention is fine.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks. The worms were short and slightly flat headed. She did eat last night a little, but not much. I think she feels some better though. She has not took a BM today for me to look at.

Thanks for that information. These sound like tapeworms. They are not affected/killed by moxidectin.

Tapeworms are small, grains of rice type worms. These are picked up by eating an infected flea. They can be passed with stool or on their own. Sometimes we see them stuck on the hair coat around the anus.

Here are links to a pictures of dog tapeworms:

1) http://acupetvetcare.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Tapes-on-Poop-300x250.jpg

2) http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images24/SpencerPitBullPuppy14WeeksPoopWormsTape.JPG

If you don't get rid of all the fleas they will continue to be a problem as she will continue to reinfest herself. They are easily treated with a medication called Praziquantal (found in either in generic wormers or the trade name wormer Droncit).

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not I would appreciate an update on your pup, thank you, ***** *****

Hi Barbara,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Mj. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara