How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Peter Your Own Question
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 30887
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Peter is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog are chocolate, He ate a lot of chocolate, Beau he is

Customer Question

My dog are chocolate
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?
Customer: He ate a lot of chocolate
JA: The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Beau he is 8 yrs old he ate 8!oz of dark chocolate
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Beau?
Customer: He weights 38 lb
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 10 months ago.

1- How long has it been since he ate the chocolate?

2- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
10minutes yes toperoxide
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 10 months ago.

Great, please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry you are having this problem with your dog. In response to your question, 8oz of dark chocolate could be life-threatening to a 38 lbs dog. This is what you can do:

1- Move quickly and try to induce vomiting. To make him vomit give him 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally.

2- Allow him to walk for a minute and move his belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If he does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If he does not vomit after the 3rd dose or you do not see most of the chocolate in the vomit I would have him checked by the nearest ER veterinarian, they can make him vomit with apomorphine and start supportive care.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. Dr. Peter
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 10 months ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter