Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 2 1/2 year old dorkie he went to jump off my bed

Customer Question
and hurt his leg he...
i have a 2 1/2 year old dorkie he went to jump off my bed and hurt his leg he can hardy walk on it and was wondering if there is anything i can give him for it?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wound think it just bad sprain cause my bed is a little h
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: high harley
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about harley?
Customer: no he is healthy he has hurt it before but thiis the worse
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Jess K, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am very sorry to hear about Harley. Did this just happen?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this morning
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no talk on here

Ok, do you notice any swelling of the leg (it can help to compare to the opposite leg), or bruising?

When you touch the leg, does he react painfully in any particular location?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no swelling of any kind but when he tries to standup he dont wanna walk its his right front leg
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he keeps it straight

Ok, so unfortunately there is not a safe over the counter pain medication that I recommend for dogs. The medications available over the counter carry too many risks for Gi ulceration and bleeding.

What I would recommend is using an ice pack (a bag of frozen peas or corn works good) wrapped in a think cloth and hold over the painful area (since he is small you can kinda wrap around his whole front leg) for 5 to 10 minutes every few hours. This will decrease swelling and pain. If he will allow you to gently massage the leg every few hours as well, this may help. I would confine him to a kennel or pen or small area where he cannot run around or jump up on furniture. When he goes outside to potty put him on a leash so he cannot run around at all. We want him to rest the leg so we don't worsen the injury. If in 2 to 3 days you aren't seeing improvement, then he should be seen by a vet. If at any point the pain worsens, you notice bruising or swelling developing, then these would be signs we could have something more serious than a soft tissue injury (like a broken bone) and he should be seen right away.

Please let me know if my reply came through to you and if you have any additional questions. If you do not, please take a moment to click and rate our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and best of luck!!!

Jess K
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian