How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 16723
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My French bulldog just ate one grape....what should I do,

Customer Question

My French bulldog just ate one green grape....what should I do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your French bulldog will be able to digest that. What is the French bulldog's name and age?
Customer: Paris, age 2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Paris?
Customer: No
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 10 months ago.

Raisins and grapes can be toxic to dogs, but they must eat a certain amount per pound of body weight to get sick.

Ingestion of raisins or grapes can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, then increased water consumption, lethargy, and kidney failure in dogs, but the toxicity is dose dependent meaning a big dog would have to eat more than a small dog.

Some dogs are more sensitive than others but a toxic dose is usually 3 grapes/raisins per kilogram of body weight (3 per 2.2 pounds). So one grape is very unlikely to be an issue unless Paris is extremely tiny (less than 2 pounds).

I understand there is a lot of conflicting information out there. To be safe we recommend no grapes or raisins. But they do need to eat a certain minimal amount per pound of body weight.

I always recommend that owners watch their pups for vomiting and/or diarrhea several hours later just in case he ate more then you thought he did. Signs of toxicity usually occur with 12 to 24 hours, but in some cases 48 hours. Further signs of toxicity include lethargy, lack of appetite, abdominal pain, increased water consumption and finally lack of urine production.

I tell owners if they see vomiting and diarrhea with any amount of grapes fed we need to get them on intravenous fluids to protect the kidneys.

Best of luck with Paris, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****