Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Oh well I have 2 female terrier mix dogs and one of them has

Customer Question
Oh hello, well I have...
Oh hello, well I have 2 female terrier mix dogs and one of them has tiny black specks around her genital area, I've never seen them on her. At first I thought she just wasn't cleaning her self right, so I grab a doggy wipe and it doesn't come off? It also doesn't look like a pigmented area.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the terrier?
Customer: nothing is wrong with her, I just want to reassure myself if it's serious or not.
JA: Where does the terrier seem to hurt?
Customer: She's not hurting she just has black specks on her vagina and I'm curious to know if they're serious or not?
JA: What is the terrier's name and age?
Customer: Lola, 3yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lola?
Customer: Not that I know of
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 year ago
Drhollowayvet

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I understand that your pet Lola has some black specks on her vagina that are concerning for you. These may be blackheads, which are typically nothing to be concerned about. Can you please take a photo, save it to your computer and attach the photo here to the chat using the icon just above the chat box area below. The icon may be a paperclip or will say "Attach file" or "Attach photo" when scrolled over it. Thank you.

-Dr. H

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 year ago

Let me know if you have any trouble uploading the photo. Thank you.

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 year ago

I apologize for the late reply, I was enjoying some good turkey and stuffing on this day of thanks!

Yes these do appear to be blackheads (comedones) which are clogged sebaceous glands on the skin. These can occur secondary to infection (bacterial, demodex, dermatophytes), endocinopathy (i.e. Cushings, exogenous steroid exposure, exposure to hormone replacement creams, hypothyroidism, steroid use) or even a keratinization disorder (sun exposure) is a possible cause.

I would recommend taking her in to your vet for a skin cytology of the area, thyroid panel (if indicated). If it is just localized to this area and Lola otherwise looks normal, in addition to trying to find and treat the underlying cause, you can use Duoxo seborrhea shampoo as a symptomatic treatment. You can also use Stridex pads (over the counter) on the area to help flush out the plugged glands.

Please let me know if there is anything else you wish to discuss concerning Lola.

*If you have no further questions or concerns, then please don't forget to leave me a rating for the service I have provided today. Thank you so much for your feedback and have a wonderful rest of your day!*

Best regards,

Dr. H

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 year ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 year ago

I see you had a chance to review my reply. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns for me at this time. Thank you!

- Dr. H

Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet