Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Vomited what smells like poo no vomiting prior no loose

Customer Question
stool has been eating normally...
Vomited what smells like poo no vomiting prior no loose stool has been eating normally just concerned BC the holiday
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I am aware of however she was playing in the back yard, it was dark, for a few hours supervised But nothing as fr as we know
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: She's older 13lab just started heat
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 1 year ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Normally when a dog vomits and it smells like fecal matter, it can be a sign of an intestinal obstruction. Usually in these case, the dog is unable to defecate or is having diarrhea in the case of partial obstructions. Read about obstructions here:

It is not good to give a dog cooked bones at all. They can cause intestinal obstructions which you can read about here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Now the fact that she is such an older dog and going into heat is also a concern. Older unspayed dogs are very prone to pyometra. Pyometra generally occurs 60-70 days after a heat cycle. It is usually seen in older unspayed females but can be seen in any age. It is diagnosed by ultrasound showing fluid in the uterus. There are two types of Pyometra (open and closed cervix) Symptoms of open cervix Pyometra are a vaginal discharge that may be pus or bloody, lethargy, anorexia, increased thirst and urination, vomiting and diarrhea, and abdominal swelling though the dog remains fairly healthy due to the infection draining from the body. Closed cervix Pyometra symptoms are the same without much of a discharge, they appear very ill, there is usually weight loss and abdominal swelling and is much more extreme. Dehydration, shock and death can occur if not treated aggressively.

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/pyometra-in-dogs/915

Since Thursday is a holiday, I strongly suggest you have your dog seen as soon as possible. Most dogs of her breed don't live as long as she has already so you need to have her seen anytime she is not feeling well or displays abnormal symptoms.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner