Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a blue tick coon hound who is almost 2, he was fine

Customer Question
all morning but now is...
I have a blue tick coon hound who is almost 2, he was fine all morning but now is limping, won't put any weight on his leg, and whimpers when you touch it. It's not warm but is a little swollen. I'm not sure if he did it horsing around with our redbone coon hound or if he hit it on the coffee table getting off the couch it was just very random. He seems to be uncomfortable and I have tried to put ice on it but he doesn't like it. Is there anything else I can do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes his foot is fine it's his elbow that is swollen
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the tick's name?
Customer: Bandit
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bandit?
Customer: Nope he is a very healthy spunky dog, runs around all day but now won't even get off the couch for a drink cause he's so sore.
Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Lori, Dog Veterinarian replied 12 months ago
Dr. Lori
Dr. Lori, Dog Veterinarian

Hi My name is***** and I can help.

Dr. Lori. It is his front leg that is swollen?

Here are some things to consider:

• If it was a bad enough accident to cause swelling you can see, something may be broken
  • If he is not bearing any weight on the leg, something may be broken.

There may not be a major fracture but possibly a chip.

You could also get just muscle injury with swelling, but he would have had to take a hard hit.

Thing to try at home:

• Cool compress - apply a cool compress to the swelling for 5 minutes three to four times a day
  • Strict exercise restriction - no running, jumping playing, etc until bandit feels better.

You can try these things but if the lameness is just as severe in the morning, he needs as physical exam with a vet to determine what is wrong.

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Lori
Dr. Lori
Dr. Lori
Dr. Lori, Dog Veterinarian