Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 3 year old parti goldenddole has stopped growing hair on…

Customer Question
My 3 year old...

My 3 year old parti goldenddole has stopped growing hair on her face...but her eyebrows are still growing. No hair loss on the rest of her. He face is not bald...the hair is much shorter than it was before and is not growing. Any suggestions?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Coco. We live in the desert...there never are fleas around here.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Coco?

She was a rescue dog from apuppy mill but she has been eating normally. We recently (2.5 months ago) got a little labradoodle. They love each other and play often. The little one jumps up on her a lot but she doesn't seem to mind most of the time..

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/22/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Since Coco was a rescue, you do not know her background and there is a chance that this hair loss is a genetic abnormality that is harmless to her. I would have your vet check her for Demodectic mange because it starts as hair loss on the face and is common in puppy mill dogs due to a suppressed immune system. It is a good sign that she is not scratching or in any discomfort but it is good to have your vet check her for this mange that can be cured.

This breed is also susceptible to thyroid problems that can affect the hair growth. If nothing comes of the test and this gets worse, your vet should check her thyroid levels to be sure.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian