Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Dashaund is almost 6 months. I came home from work he

Customer Question
stayed in his bed didn't...
My Dashaund is almost 6 months. I came home from work he stayed in his bed didn't want to go out. Cold ears cold feet. Acts lethargic Reg poop Drank some water. Moving around just acts sickly. We have him a puppy shot yesterday.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Louie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Louie?
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/22/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 12 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Thank you!

Hello again

Sorry to hear your pup is unwell. I do wonder if what you are seeing is related to the puppy shots Louie had yesterday. Vaccine reactions can and do occur, however I can tell you the following :

Basically there are two sorts of vaccine reactions which can occur :

1. Serious anaphylactic reactions : These reactions occur very rarely and are potentially life-threatening allergic reactions, they will start within several minutes to an hour after vaccination and require immediate veterinary attention as your dog will be in extremis or collapsed. I doubt if this is happening in Louie's case.

2. Mild reactions : These are more common, they usually start within hours to several days after vaccination, and last no more than four of five days, you may see discomfort and pain at the site where the vaccine was given, perhaps a mild fever and reduced appetite plus sometimes lethargy and vomiting. These dogs feel very sorry for themselves but the protection they receive via vaccination is so important.

It seems likely to me under the circumstances that Louie may have the second form of the vaccine reaction but of course other diagnosis are possible. If this is a minor vaccine reaction the main way to treat this is just support and trying to keep him eating and drinking, really this is just good nursing care. While there are no guarantees the majority of these dogs slowly return to normal over a couple of days.

Of course if he deteriorates further or you become more concerned you should have him checked over by your local vet without delay. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Louie's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Thank you his temperature is 96.1 and a slight labored breathing. Do we need to be concerned?

The normal temperature for a dog is between 100.8 and 102.8 F taken rectally with a clinical thermometer.

1. If 96.1 is in fact his correct temperature taken in the above way, then this would be a cause for concern in which case you should take him to an ER vet without delay. However I have known owners have problems taking a dog's temperature because of course understandably this is something owners do not carry out very often and devices other than clinical thermometers can be unreliable in the dog.

2. Slightly laboured breathing is common where pups are having a minor vaccine reaction.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Louie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his high temperature...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian