Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Can dogs take frankincense oil? found out she has a cancer

Customer Question
Can dogs take frankincense oil? JA...
Can dogs take frankincense oil?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: found out she has a cancer mass in her chest cavity. she is 12 yrs old and opted not to have surgery or chemo.
JA: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bella
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?
Customer: She also has Cushings and on meds for that
Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/22/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 12 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

Frankincense: Has helped some cases of cancer by working on the immune system. It has reduced tumors and external ulcers. Increases blood supply to the brain (although it can worsen hypertension so use caution).

Cautions

While oils are useful in healing and affecting mentation, they are powerful and can cause a wide variety of adverse effects. Principles of safe use are recommended. The largest problem with essential oils is that they may contain contaminates or adulterants that make more serious issues arise. For this reason, one should only use therapeutic grade oils from reputable companies and verify the quality of oils before using them.

Animals have sensitive senses of smell, so in most cases it is best to use oils that are diluted and always provide an escape route. If a pet does not like an oil do not enforce its use. One drop of essential oil diluted in 50 drops of a pure dilutional oil such as grape seed oil is usually sufficient.

Since animals metabolize and react differently to essential oils, it is important to know about species-specific differences before using oils. A person discovers essential oils may begin to diffuse the oils into their homes leading to an unintentional overdose for their pets.

To reduce the chances of sensitivity and organ toxicity, we generally use an oil for no more than two weeks and then provide a rest period. Under certain circumstances — like in the treatment of cancer — we will use oils for longer periods, but this is something best left to those trained in the use of oils.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today and truly which you and your Bella a long happy life together

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian