Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Okay Google and my dog was chasing a squirrel my digit Min

Customer Question

Okay Google I'm Indigent and my dog was chasing a squirrel my digit Min Pin and her left palm was injured in the chase
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 9 months ago.

Hello again. I answered you other question about Gidget's seizures.

I'm sorry that Gidget has injured her foot.

If the injury isn't too bad, you may be able to successfully treat it at home without a vet visit. The following is what I'd recommend:

1. I would clean the area with dilute betadine or odine (to the color of weak tea) twice a day and let it dry. These anti-septic products are available at most pharmacies. I would avoid hydrogen peroxide since it can retard healing and alcohol will burn (which you probably already know.) Even just cleaning with warm water will be fine if you don't have access to betadine or iodine.
2. Then I would apply over the counter topical antibiotic ointment such as you would use for a wound on yourself.

3. If Gidget is trying to lick the ointment off, then I would use a cone on or just distract her for 20-30 minutes until it is absorbed. It won't hurt f she ingests the ointment, it just won't be effective.

4. Another perfect product for this situation would be Vetericyn which can increase healing. It's often found at pet or grain stores or can be purchase online.

5. Whether to bandage or not is often an individual preference and depends on the wound itself but moist wound healing (often only accomplished with a bandage in place) creates an environment high in growth hormones, inflammatory cells, and enzymes that increase healing. Thus, it's better to bandage if possible.

Care should be taken that it's not too tight such that circulation is compromised though.

I would change the bandage every day or every other day to evaluate the wound for the presence of infection or swelling.

I'd treat the foot for 5-7 days or a little longer if necessary. Most injuries of this sort will heal without needing antibiotics or a vet visit.

I hope this helps. Deb