Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I just type a message possibly on a different site regarding

Customer Question
I just type a long...
I just type a long message possibly on a different site regarding my sheltie that I had to euthanized due to a huge mass in her spleen. I'm confused and upset that the vet never caught it or at least monitored it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sophie age 8
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Sophie?
Customer: She started vomiting, had loss of appetite, white gums, and had trouble walking and standing in the last day or two of me putting her to sleep.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/21/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

I will be very pleased to talk this over with you, would you prefer I call you on the phone?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm at work and can't talk right now email is fine please. Thank you

Hello again

1. First of all, sorry for your loss, I know what an upset for you this must have been.

2. Tumours of the spleen are actually often very difficult to pick up in the early stages since as long as the tumour is confined to the spleen itself there would very likely be no symptoms of any kind. The spleen is a very vascular organ so as the tumour advances it will sooner or later hit a large blood vessel in the spleen and then the dog will suddenly bleed out into the abdominal cavity, this can take an hour or so and then death quickly follows or if it is a smaller blood vessel the blood loss is very slow and can dribble away over a period of days or even weeks.

3. It is only when bleeding into the abdomen occurs that the symptoms you mention will occur such as white gums, lethargy and incoordination. If you act very quickly then surgery is possible at this point and some dogs are indeed saved, but for other dogs it is too late and they do not survive surgery and in yet another group the tumour has spread to the liver and this is then a terminal condition even if the spleen is removed.

4. If it got to the point where the symptoms you mentioned occurred then the chances are that euthanasia was the best option for Sophie, but very hard for you I know ...

5. I hope this has given you some insight into the situation but I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you I guess that makes some sense I'm a nurse and I work a lot of hours and I just feel bad that I didn't know all that was going on with her. I was so concerned with the skin rash and allergy problems that she saw the vet for and all the money and medications to try and figure the issue. And to think that she was brewing a time bomb in her is just disheartening she was part of the family and a great loss.

The splenic problem almost certainly was a seperate issue from any sort of skin or allergy.

Again, sorry for your loss ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you once again do you know how it was developed because I remember feeling nodules on Sophie but she played them down as if it was normal. Just frustrated at this point I know it won't bring Sophie back but I just feel like someone dropped the ball at her expense.

It is hard I know, but normally there are no external symptoms of splenic tumours until it is too late ...

I have been caught out by just this sort of situation a few times in my career ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I feel a little better just want to make sure I made the right decision because that was not the diagnosis or prognosis I was expecting. It was just a right now decision so I felt rushed and she went fast which helped some, just wanted to be sure. Once again thank you it means to me than you would ever know.

Glad to be advising you ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 12 months ago

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how you are getting and to check that do not need any more advice about what happened to Sophie.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian