Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He has vomited 12 times in the last hour twice each time

Customer Question
about 10 minutes apart....
He has vomited 12 times in the last hour twice each time about 10 minutes apart. All of his stomach contents are gone (food) and now it is just bile.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that we know of but he is a 7 month old Alaskan Malamute and eats everything in sight
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Chimo
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Chimo?
Customer: No. He is frisky as can be and wants more to eat but right now he is not even holding down water
Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/20/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Levinson, Dog Veterinarian replied 12 months ago
Dr.  Levinson
Dr. Levinson, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

this is Dr. Levinson

this sounds pretty serious. vomiting 12x in an hr and won't keep water down and now vomiting up bile.

I know you may not want to hear this, but I'd really urge you to take him to the emergency vet hospital for some x-rays to rule out a gi foreign body. If this is what is going on, where he ate something that is now stuck you'll be looking at an emergency intestinal surgery and this could be something he can die from.

If it's just gastritis from something rotten that he ate or a gi parasite or other that may be able to be treated medically without surgery but that dog needs some x=rays pronto! He most likely will need to be hospitalized on IV fluids as anything you try to give to him orally right now he will only vomit up.

I hope this helps and I hope only the best for you and Chimo.

I have to go off line for a bit, but please leave me a message if you want to and I'll try to get back to you.

Dr.  Levinson
Dr.  Levinson
Dr. Levinson, Dog Veterinarian