Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 11 month old puppy has been eating bougainvillea and I

believe berries off of a...
My 11 month old puppy has been eating bougainvillea and I believe berries off of a ficus Benjamin plant. She is whining and trying to hide under the bed. What do we need to do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lil
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Lil?
Customer: She is very active and since I could not stop her from eating the bushes I put cayenne around them.
11/20/2016
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did she eat these?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Her gums are very dark

Hi again,

Darker then usual for her?

Any thing else she could have gotten into or any of the signs I asked about?

Hi again,

I have not heard back on her gums color, but wanted to touch base about these plants she ate.

Now neither of these plants are considereddog safe, though thankfully both are only reported to cause GI upset --vomiting, appetite loss, belly upset, and diarrhea. And that upset is likely why shefeels so poorly and is trying to hide herself away.

In any case, we may need to further restricther garden access or fence these plants off so that she doesn’t try to eat inthe future. Though for the moment, we'd want to try some homesupportive care to try to settle her stomach and get her comfortable. To start,if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for afew hours first), then you can consider treating her with an antacid. CommonOTC pet safe options would be: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid),pr Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)).Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allowabsorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known healthissues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give thisand she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that weneed to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Once that has had time toabsorb and she is steadier on her stomach,

you can consider startingher on a easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken,boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as longas its garlic/onion free).The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbedby the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and resultin less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advisecontinuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly backto her normal diet.

Overall, both plants arelikely causing significant stomach upset for Lil. Therefore, we'd want to usethe above to see if we can soothe this for her. If she settles, we are happy,but if she cannot then we'd want her vet to start injectable anti-vomitingmedication to nip this in the bud for her.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Pleaseremember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as thisis the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian