Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog has blood in urine and stool, did vomit dark liquid fowl

Customer Question
smelling. Not bile. JA: I'm...
Dog has blood in urine and stool, did vomit dark liquid fowl smelling. Not bile.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: not that I know of - yesterday he was acting fine. Then about 8:00 p.m. Vomited the dark broen liquid. He would not eat last night. This morning he ate a few bites of boiled burger. He was straining to try to produce stool. I wiped his rear and there was a little blood. Then noticed that where he had urinated there was blood on the deck.
JA: OK. The veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Buddy, 11 years old. Las Apso
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Las Apso?
Customer: No - he acted fine yesterday during day.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/20/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, rat bait, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi - he is drinking water, are a few pieces of boiled hamburger. When he went out to go again, the urine did not have blood like the first urine this morning. His gums are pink.

Thank you,

Now I have to say that I am very concerned about Buddy.

Urine in stool, feces and vomit (which is likely if that vomit looked brown) suggests a possible clotting issue. The most common cause for this will actually be ingestion of anti-coagulant toxins (ie rat bait, warfarin, etc) but we can see it with other toxicities, liver issues, some cancers, and when dogs have conditions that compromise their platelet function/creation. So, we need to tread with care and seen urgently if toxicity is possible for him.

That all said, if Buddy hasn't had any more urinary blood and has pink gums (paling being a warning sign of significant blood loss), we can try some supportive care as we monitor him closely. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating him with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though I'd note that if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Afterwards, you can start a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and less diarrhea. Fiber (ie canned or boiled pumpkin) and canine probiotics can be added to these meals to further slow the stools and help support the gut. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet.

Overall, there are a wide range of agents could trigger this GI upset we are seeing for Buddy but I am truly concerned about his clotting here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach since he sounds better then he was, but we need to keep a very very close eye on him. If he doesn't respond to the above within 12-24 hours, pales at all, or toxicity is possible; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, test his clotting factors, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication, gastroprotectants, +/- antibiotics to settle this for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you - I cannot imagine that he would have gotten into anything toxic. He is a little character and barely will go outside to piddle. When it is cold(we are in upstate ny - rain and snow yesterday). I will take him to the vet tomorrow morning. I just did not want to take him to emergency since he seems a little better! I will get him in first thing!! Thank you so, so much!!

You are very welcome,

I am very glad to hear that toxins are not likely for Buddy. Therefore, since his gums are pink as they should be and he seems a bit brighter for you today, you can use the above while keeping a close eye on him. And once his vet is open in the morning a check up would be ideal here.

Best wishes for you both,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me –I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian