Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is 2 months away from being 16 years old. She is now

Customer Question
defecating & urinating on herself...
My dog is 2 months away from being 16 years old. She is now defecating & urinating on herself. She ends up not being able to stand up and is laying in it! She barely can see or hear but still eats well. Is this time to put her down or could their be any sensible options. I have 4 other dogs and really can't afford thousands in treatments.
Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/20/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 12 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In her current state, I would definitely say that it is time to put her to sleep. A couple of the criteria I use for determining quality of life is being able to get up, how often they are sleeping and urinating and defecating where they are laying. The only thing you can try is talk to your vet about putting her on pain medications for arthritis to see if that helps. They may want to check some blood work to make sure the liver or kidneys are functioning well first, though. It won't cost you thousands, but you may be looking at a couple hundred dollars. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hi Leslie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Leslie Clower. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 11 months ago

Hello. I was just following up to see how your Pup is doing and to see if you have any further questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian