Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog recently ingested ibuprofen. We have taken her to the

Customer Question
vet and they did a...
My dog recently ingested ibuprofen. We have taken her to the vet and they did a 12 hour IV and catheter to flush out her kidneys. We took her back to the vet 24 hours later to check her blood levels and they were all at normal levels. However, since last night our dog has been leaking when she lies down and whining to go out about every hour. What does this mean, or what do we do next?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rizzo and she is 1 1/2 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Rizzo?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/19/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Is the urine she is passing appear watery/dilute or darker/odorous?

Is she drinking more?

Any appetite loss, gagging, or vomiting?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Her urine is very clear and haven't noticed any strong odors. She is drinking more and she has not had any loss in appetite and hasn't vomitted since Wednesday.

Oh dear,

Since it is clear, can you tell me how long after she ingested the Ibuprofen was she treated?

Did they induce vomiting or give her activated charcoal as well as the fluids?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She ingested it on Monday night and she was treated on Wednesday afternoon. We called the dog poison hotline and they just told us to give her pepcid AC to help with the acidity to avoid ulcers.

Thank you,

Now I have to say that I am quite concerned here. If Rizzo wasn't treated until Wednesday afternoon, there was time for her to absorb the drug. The Pepcid was prudent to prevent stomach ulcers or perforation but would not have protected her kidneys. And I have to warn you that at this point (which is past the point too much IV fluid would cause this) we don't tend to see changes to the kidney levels on bloods until >75% damage has occurred. So, its quite possible that the bloods didn't detect a lower level of damage that is now causing signs or has progressed. Therefore, in this case, we'd want to monitor her, keep her taking fluids, but plan to have her seen by her local vet as soon as we can to recheck those bloods but most importantly check that her urine isn't telling us that there is a lower level of damage now causing her signs.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have taken her into the vet and they are saying everything looks normal. They are treating a potential bladder infection now with antibiotics.

Thank you for the update, my dear.

That is odd timing for a bladder infection, but I am very glad to hear that there is no sign of delayed onset compromise to her kidneys.

Best wishes for her responding to the antibiotics,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian