Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

She has a wet nose plays.around even barks but she just

Customer Question

She has a wet nose plays.around even barks but she just stopped eating
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Zoe she is one year six months
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Zoe?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she has these signs?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Any diarrhea or breathing changes?

What have you tried feeding?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Maybe a bone that is sitting uncomfortable in her tummy I haven't seen or heard her vomit no discomfort when I touch her tummy yes she can keep water this morning she at chicken with her kibble and.now I tried chic***** *****ver.Her gums are not sticky and the colour is that darkish colour and pink no diarrhea or breathing change no drooling it has been for last night this morning ahe ate and now inthe night not.eaten
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I dont remember giving her a bone and now she is even barking so loud at a cat running up and down is there something called fasting in dogs or maybe her tummy is upset
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you,

So, has she eaten today (the chicken or kibble)? Or did you just mean that you offered these?

Are those gums a normal color for her?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
She ate chicken and liver this morning those gums are her normal colour but now that it's night she hasn't eaten anything
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Good, I am glad that that is normal for Rizzo.

Now in regards ***** ***** signs, we do have a few concerns. Anorexia in dogs is often related to nausea or gut pain. Since Zoe is comfortable in her belly, we'd hope the latter is less likely but would need to be wary of a possible bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (a concern at her age and with a possible bone situation).

With this all in mind, we want to tread with care. Though there are some home supportive care we can try to get her eating. To start, we'd want to counter any nausea behind her signs with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention.

After that has had time to absorb, we can try to tempt her with small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). Or if she cannot be tempted, we can offer or syringe feed watered down Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet. All of these are critical care diets that are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing with Zoe. Her anorexia at her age is most likely related to an underlying nausea, so we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, your vet can treat her with injectable anti-nausea medication, appetite stimulants, +/- antibiotics to get her back feeling like herself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can I try porridge. She does drink water and she keeps it down.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Good, I am glad she does as that works in our favor for using oral anti-nausea treatments as opposed to having to start with her vet giving injectable ones. You can try porridge if you wish, though it doesn't have much in the way of proteins for them, so we'd need to get her onto a light diet if we can.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
while drinking water she has at least two paws inthe bowl and thats what ahe did today and she was just fine yesterday morning and all.of a sudden when its time to eat inthe evening she didnt
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hi again,

That is fine if she does drink that way (its not characteristic of any illness), but again this sounds like a low grade nausea or possible bone ingestion. So, we'd want to use the above to try to soothe her stomach, else we'd want a check if we cannot get her settled.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
if.there's a.possible bone in her tummy.would.surgery be the.only.way.or can viruses happen so quickly
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Both can be sudden in onset for our dogs, so both do fit. If there was a bone, it would depend if the pieces were small enough to pass or not. If they couldn't pass, then surgery may be needed but an xray can be carried out before that point to determine if there is a bone and if it is stuck.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is so odd that.she.doesn't eat.because she.is such a healthy eater. So there's no such things.as fasting in.dogs but she can have an upset tummy because her stools very smell
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hi again,

There isn't intentional fasting by dogs, only when their owners withhold food. So, we'd be worried about GI upset and if the stools smell that too supports this as an issue for Zoe.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
we will see how it goes with.zoe otherwise the vet would be the.best option
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Yes, we can use the above and if we don't see her settling in 24 hours then we'd want her seen to rule out a foreign body like a bone.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks a lot doc
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

You are very welcome,my dear.

Best wishes for Zoe,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )