Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Lumps around neck she breathing hard I know it's cancer,

Customer Question
Lumps around neck she breathing...
Lumps around neck she breathing hard I know it's cancer
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bellah 8 yrs old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bellah
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Bellah?
Customer: Just that her breathing has become complicated
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/19/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Bellah. You appear to be describing lymphoma involving her parotid and mandibular lymph nodes. Swelling of these lymph nodes due to the lymphoma won't disturb her breathing but nearby lymph nodes in her oropharynx (back of her throat), neck, and chest can impinge on her airways and make it more difficult for her to breath. Only chemotherapy can reduce the size of the lymph nodes. Prednisone can do so dramatically but its effect tends to wane over the first month of its administration. Prednisone plus other chemotherapeutic drugs can put Bellah in remission for a period of time predicated upon how advanced the lymphoma is at the time of initiation of therapy, its virulence, and staging - how many body cavities are involved, e.g.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian