Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 4 year old French bulldog and for the past day and

Customer Question
Hi there, JA: Hello. What seems...
Hi there,
JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: i have a 4 year old French bulldog and for the past day and a half he seems to be acting very lethargic and his hind legs are shaking periodically. He is also urinating in little spots around the house which he would do occasionally to mark his territory since we have an English bulldog puppy but now he will do it on furniture, like he can't make it outside, even if the door is open. He also does not seem interested in his food today so we gave him milk, which he drank, and some chicken and rice but he didn't want to eat it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The veterinarian will know how to help the English bulldog. What is the English bulldog's name?
Customer: The English bulldog is Bailey but it's our 4 year old French bulldog, Melvin that is having the problem.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Melvin?
Customer: When we take him out for a walk he will be excited and act normally and will be like that for a little while after and the. Go back to acting odd
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/19/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Melvin. Lethargy, weakness as evidenced by his shaking hind legs, anorexia, and urinary incontinence are a serious combination of symptoms but aren't specifically indicative of any one particular disorder. His urinary incontinence can be due to drinking excessively and his bladder then overfilling which has many possible etiologies or his "leaking" may simply be another symptom of overall weakness. Melvin is a patient who needs the attention of his vet at your earliest convenience. I would expect a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests to be performed. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian