Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Normal vitals, drinking, pink gums/ tongue, but sudden onset

Customer Question

Normal vitals, drinking, pink gums/ tongue, but sudden onset of not eating, vomiting clear thick saliva..sometimes bile tinged. Also lethargy, severe weight loss and dark almost neon yellow urine. At times bm is pale.
This has gone on almost a week. Was seen for regular vet checkup 1 month ago...had teeth cleaned and 1 removed also. Had biopsy on lipoma..neg. 1 - 1 1/2 years ago had cancerous tumor removed from chest/ abdomen. Will eat certain foods...very picky suddenly a d sometimes will only eat by hand or spoon..and only 2 to 5 mouthful at any time. Lost alot of weight and is on verge of week
Need to get her (8 yo cocker spaniel ) to vet!
What could this be...not on meds except for fleas/ ticks and heartworm..last dose at least 10 days prior to sudden onset of symptoms.
Not exposed to poisons..
Does has normal digestive sounds...stomach growling now...but turns up her nose at food 9 out of 10 offerings...still wants treats..biscuits.
This is breaking my heart..I am afraid it is liver/ kidney...possibly terminal!!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she has these signs?

Would you say the urine is nearly orange-yellow and so bright it may stain the floor?

Are her gums moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Please read my question again...I am an RN and tried to give all details I could.
Started suddenly a week ago thurs.
Bright neon yellow..stains pads (and floor )
I guess.
Some tensing/ tenderness. I am able to rub/ per her belly and touch all over...but is week and lethargic and prefers not to be mauled..ok with light petting.
Interested in being ged...but turns up nose...backs away from almost everything.
Can hand and spoon feed some things. She has about1/4 to 1/2 read. of peanut butter at 3 am and 1/2 of a scrambled egg at 6:30 am.She showed interest in my pumpkin pie bagel so I gave her tiny pieces. a small bite total...never feed her stuff like that before...she would have eaten the whole thing...but wouldn't give her anymore...offer 2_4 things . so she might eat something. .
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you,

I have fully read your history and was just trying to tease some more information since you are my eyes/hands here. In any case, if we have urine as reported, then liver/gall bladder issues (or immune mediated hemolytic anemia but we'd have expected gum paling) are a concern. We can of course see darkening of urine with dehydration but this dramatic staining urine usually is a sign of bilirubin in the urine. So, we'd want to recheck those mucous membranes for hints of jaundice but will need to think about having a blood sample as soon as her vet is open. And just to note, since you mentioned peanut butter, please double check there isn't xylitol in that since that could damage the liver. As well, if there is nutmeg in the bagel it cannot be given either.

Now since Hope's vomiting and anorexia is likely due to underlying nausea, until she can see her vet for anti-emetics and appetite stimulants, you can at least try an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or calicium carbonate (60mg every 8-12 hours). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find the nausea just too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need the local vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

After that has had time to absorb, we can start small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Egg is fine but otherwise you can use white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free).

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing with Hope. Though the urine really raises worries of liver issues here or at least bilirubinuria. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach but plan to have her seen as soon as possible to check bloods +/- a scan to determine what is compromising liver function so we can best address this for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.
Hi Marie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Hope. How is everything going?
Dr. B.