Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 11 yr old rat terrier helps in pain when she jumps up on

Customer Question

My 11 yr old rat terrier helps in pain when she jumps up on my leg or if I rub her head the wrong way it comes and goes
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wound I am wondering if it arthritis worse when it's cold and she has laid down for long periods
JA: What is the rat terrier's name?
Customer: Nikki
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Nikki?
Customer: No she is healthy eating good and not overseas
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Is she limping with any of her legs? Has she ever had this happen before?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Yes she does limp last weekend she was walking and her back legs just gave out. I called our local vet who said it sounded like she strained her back so we kennel her for a couple of hours as recommended and she was fine

Okay thanks for the additional information. I would agree with your veterinarian that there is probably something going on with her back. One common condition that can occur in small dogs such as Nikki is a bulging disc. A bulging disc can cause pressure on the spine which can lead to pain and cause the hindlimbs to give out. She may likely need to be on pain meds for a period of time in addition to the cage rest that you provide. Some dogs also benefit from a muscle relaxer as well

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

So I need to take her in to be seen and get some X-Rays

Yes x-rays may help determine if that is the problem. Sometimes the veterinarian can see a narrowed space between the back bones or evidence of arthritis on the x-rays that can confirm a diagnosis. Also the x-rays can rule out any other issues that she may have that could be causing the pain.