Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Unusual thirst, diluted urine, constipation (ended now),

Customer Question
hard BM, listless, depression, stopped...
unusual thirst, diluted urine, constipation (ended now), hard BM, listless, depression, stopped eating, even treats, only wants water, lost weight, sunken stomach, my senior mother's dog and she does not feel anything is wrong other than he is being old and stubborn so not taken to vet yet, had bladder stones a few years ago because of not being taken out potty often enough, I have to kidnap dog to take him to vet and even out to potty, she just lets him go in bathroom floor, wont let me give him water he is asking for, says he is drowning
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/18/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Jennifer Welsh,
 replied 1 year ago
Jennifer Welsh

Hello! I am Dr Welsh and I am happy to help with your questions today. I am sorry that your pup isn't feeling well. Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this. I have just a few additional questions for you so that I can make the best recommendation.

how long has this been going on for?

how often does he actually get to drink and how much would you say he gets in a day?

when did he stop eating? when was the last time he ate anything?

any current meds or illness?

any changes to or difficulty urinating?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it started about a month ago, there for awhile before that he was eating more than usual, then the unusual thirst startedI am gone 6 am to 6pm so not sure how much water, but I know my mom withholds so she does not need to take him out as often, and I am sure it is less than he needs, he always asks me for water when I come home
stopped eating w/I last 48 hours, less and less, now virtually nothing
no current meds, had bladder stones and surgeries, no blood in urine, but had blood on his stool and around it on floor for awhile
lots of pottying, what goes in must come out, very diluted mostly
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am kidnapping him tomorrow to see if his vet can fit us in, if not I am taking him to emergency vet, she may own him, but he is MY dog and best friend, and I gotta help him, mom has mild dementia and does not realize she is hurting him, she thinks he is fine other than I am drowning him by giving him water when he begs for it so he has no room for food and he is begging me for water to "please me" and "oppose her" because I keep telling her fresh water 24/7
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are you still there?
Dog Veterinarian: Jennifer Welsh,
 replied 1 year ago

ok thank you for that additional information. first and foremost, it sounds like he is very dehydrated. constipation can be from being chronically dehydrated, and depending on how constipated they are that can cause them to stop eating. also can possibly be the reason for the blood in the stool. withholding water can definitely also be detrimental to the kidneys. there are many reasons why they can drink and pee a lot, with the history of the bladder stones there is definitely a possibility he could have a uti as well. in addition to this, kidney disease can cause drinking and peeing a lot, cushings (hyperadrenocortism) can also cause that. prostate issues can also cause that. there are also a lot of other things that can cause increased drinking and peeing, as well as decreased appetite and lethargy, but those are the top at my list. All in all, I really think he needs a vet visit and baseline bloodwork and urinalysis to make sure that we haven't caused any issues with internal organs, as well as look for any other possible causes to this. he definitely shouldn't be having any restriction on water intake as that can make things worse. and if he is house broken he will likely try to hold it as long as possible, which can also cause uti and other problems. maybe try getting someone like a dog walker to come over in the middle of the day to make sure he is getting out and exercise, as well as proper water and food.

Dog Veterinarian: Jennifer Welsh,
 replied 1 year ago

does that make sense? is there anything else I can answer for you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I hope that if I have something in writing from the vet I can show her again and again each time she forgets it, and get him on a food and potty break schedule, he will stop having the accidents inside, he is potty trained, but I think he just gave up begging to go out and went I the bathroom floor, and in continued until he thinks that is the norm now, definitely chronic dehydration, poor baby, I work 65 miles away so I cannot be there for him, but I can try to find some way to get my mom to take him out, she is not trying to hurt him, she just does not see it or understand it, and cannot accept that this may be due to her not taking him out to potty, he has really bad allergy eyes too, I think that is what it is anyway, black gunk in the corners and around his eyes
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she thinks I am hurting him and drowning him by giving him the water he is asking for, she says he is not eating because he is full of water yet she insists he drinks it then goes directly in and pottys it out, both cannot be correct
Dog Veterinarian: Jennifer Welsh,
 replied 1 year ago

they can't drown themselves by drinking too much water. they will pee out whatever they drink even if it is more then they need.

depending on how much grooming is kept up around the face, they often have excess eye draining (given genetics of the breed) so if you don't wipe this away regularly it can build up.

if she is unable to take care of the dog due to her own medical issues, then it may be needed to bring someone in to help out when you are not there. we don't want him to suffer, and if she mentally cannot get it then we need to look out for him as well.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he is groomed about every 2 months, his hair grows like a weed and he looks like a bear, I clean out his ears and eyes and mustache often, maybe I can find someone to be a dog walker for him, I can try to get him at 5:30 AM before I leave and then again at 6:00 PM when I get home, the dog area for her building is about 3 blocks walk and 3 floors down, and she uses a walker, so I understand her hesitance, but she cannot endanger the dog's health, I will take him ASAP for test with his vet, even if I have t kidnap him
Dog Veterinarian: Jennifer Welsh,
 replied 1 year ago

ok sounds like a great plan for him. I think that is best. is there anything else I can answer for you today?

Dog Veterinarian: Jennifer Welsh,
 replied 1 year ago

if there isn't anything else then I wish you two the best!

Thank you for reaching out today. I hope that I have answered your questions completely. If you are happy with my service, please provide a star rating at the top so that the website can compensate me for our time (3* or higher). If you are having difficulties with the site rating, you can type excellent,good,fair. If you are not satisfied, I'd be happy to continue our conversation.

Jennifer Welsh
Jennifer Welsh
Jennifer Welsh