Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He's been whining and shaking his head all day and night. it

Customer Question
get's better when I put...
He's been whining and shaking his head all day and night. it get's better when I put a cone on him and worse when he scratched his ears.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: My Shih Tzu's name is ***** ***** is 8 1/2 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Benny?
Customer: I used ear cleaner on him in case he has mites and I also gave him a flea bath because he's been licking all his fur until it is soaked. He also has very long ear hair.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/18/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Benny. His shaking as you've described usually indicates either reactive ears - ears inflamed as part of a more systemic allergic dermatitis - or, less commonly, a primary bacterial and/or yeast infection. A foreign body such as a plant awn (foxtail) in the ear canal(s) is also an important consideration. Mites are unlikely in an 8 1/2 year old. Cleaning his ears was smart but if bacteria or yeast are present you'll need to follow up with a prescription product from Benny's vet containing an antibiotic, antiyeast, and antiinflammatory drug such as Panalog or Otomax. If there's a foreign body in the ear canal it will need to be extracted by Benny's vet.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian