Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 7 yr old mastiff was diagnosed with a probable pneumonia

Customer Question
by xray,and kidney failure. .The...
My 7 yr old mastiff was diagnosed with a probable pneumonia by xray,and kidney failure. .The vet gave us little hope,but she's eating, drinking after a antibiotic injection. Should I ask to continue the amoxicillin?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Larrie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Larrie?
Customer: Everything was normal in February when we rescued her.On Mon,herBUN was161,and creatinine was 12.I'm feeding her bland foods.
Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/18/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 12 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Larrie. Yes, if you're going to see a good response to a bacterial pneumonia, amoxicillin (preferably given along with enrofloxacin for better broad spectrum coverage) should be administered for a minimum of 2 weeks or at least 1 week beyond radiographic resolution of infection. Unless her BUN and creatinine can be reduced with intensive diuresis with IV fluids, I would be concerned that you're not going to have the opportunity to treat Larrie for that length of time. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian