Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian working with man's best friend. Have worked with pets, hunting and herding dogs, hounds, and breeders.
92155571

My 80 lb black lab MAY have eaten a 25mg pill of

Customer Question

my 80 lb black lab MAY have eaten a 25mg pill of chlordiazepoxie..is this alarming
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Hercules and 3 yrs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Hercules?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about Hercules' troubles. Chlordiazepoxide is actually used in dogs to help treat behavior problems such as separation anxiety. The side effects of this drug can be irritability or aggression and sometimes sedation, but this is usually at higher doses. The dose for a dog of Hercules' size would start at around 80 mg. As long as he doesn't have any health concerns such as liver disease, the dose should be small enough that you won't even notice. Monitor him for any of these signs for the next couple hours. The duration of this drug is usually around 3 hours. So he should certainly be clear by the end of the end of the day.

I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!