jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

Have a 2 year old yorkie who does not sleep well at knight.

Customer Question

Good evening. Have a 2 year old yorkie who does not sleep well at knight. At around 2 am every morning she starts barking and yelping for attention. Very difficult for myself and other family members as we all hav to get up early in morning for work/school Is there something I can give her to help her sleep the whole night.Thank youAnna
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 11 months ago.

Hi.

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient. It is also very late here so I may end up responding in the morning.

How long have you had her?

Is she spayed?

Is anyone home with her during the day?

If so, what is her schedule as far as feeding, eliminating and walks?

How often do you feed her?

Is she crated at night?

Besides what you mentioned, have you tried anything else?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Anna, I am not in a position to make phone calls at this time. I also usually include a lot of links to outside pages with lots of additional information that you might find helpful which I can't do over the phone either. If you respond to the information request I can get an answer to you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

Let me give you my thoughts given the information I do have.

Often if a dog has nothing to do all day long, they end up sleeping and then when the owners come home, they have a little bit of excitement and things to do but before long it is bedtime and their owners go to sleep. They have been sleeping all day so they really are not that tired and then wake up earlier. They wake up, bark or otherwise wake their owners and of course, we get up let them out thinking they may need to eliminate but now they have attention and want you to stay up with them. The more they bark the more attention they get from you even if it is bad attention. Dogs often don't care what kind of attention as long as it is attention.

So one of the best things you can do is totally ignore the dog. I know this can be hard but if you start when you have a few days off work it will help. Buy some earplugs or use some earphones to block out the barking so your dog doesn't get any reaction to the barking. If she jumps up on you, etc, ban her from the bedroom. As soon as she stops getting attention for the barking it will stop.

I know this can be very difficult for people to do sometimes. There are other things you can do to help keep her awake during the day and stimulated. That will help her sleep better at night. They make things designed to keep dogs busy. Here are a few.

https://www.chewy.com/starmark-treat-dispensing-bob-lot/dp/45492

My dogs and even my cats love this. It keeps them busy for hours.

Here is another that a lot of dogs enjoy.

https://www.chewy.com/ethical-pet-seek-treat-shuffle-bone/dp/56279

https://www.chewy.com/nina-ottosson-dog-treat-maze-plastic/dp/103263

Other things that can help are taking her for a long walk in the morning, one when you get home and then right before bed take her out. Now I know you are likely walking her but this needs to be a fast paced walk to tire her out right before bed time. A small meal often helps as many dogs produce excess acid when their stomachs are empty which can wake them up early. A mall meal helps prevent that. Get a kong with treat compartment. Fill it with yogurt or peanut butter without xylitol and freeze it. Give it to her right before bedtime. It will either give her something to mess with before going to sleep which will keep her awake longer and asleep well past the time she is waking now or will give her something to occupy her mouth when she wakes. If she is chewing and licking the kong, she won't be barking.

Another option is a bark collar. They make citronella spray ones and shock ones. Both are pretty effective and they will stop the barking pretty quickly. As for medications, benadryl often has a sedative like effect on many animals. The dosage is 1-2mg per pound every 8 hours. Anything stronger you would need to get from your vet.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.